When you’re in the throes of an energy slump, it’s easy to grab a coffee, soda, or sugary snack for a quick fix. But to perform at its best, the body requires a consistent energy source, which can’t be obtained from sugar and caffeine. Improve and maintain energy levels and perform at your best with these tips.
1. Improve sleep hygiene. Sleep is a function of quality as well as quantity, which makes a consistent sleep ritual key.
2. Hydrate early and often. If you’re feeling thirsty you might already be dehydrated, which can lead to fatigue and decreased performance.
3. Move every hour. Sitting for hours tightens hamstrings and glutes, leading to muscle dysfunction, long-term ailments, and injuries.
4. Take a hint from plants and get some sunlight. Doing an outdoor workout or taking a break outside resets the mind and body and boosts energy levels.
5. Enjoy a power nap. A nap of even 20 minutes can do wonders to break through that midafternoon malaise, proving more effective than reaching for caffeine or sugar.
6. Ask a coach for breathing exercises. Deliberate breathing not only reduces stress, but it also boosts energy.
7. Fuel your brain. Reach for a brain-boosting snack complete with healthy fats, protein, and a bit of color from berries, dark chocolate, or dark, leafy greens.
8. Walk around barefoot outside to try grounding, or earthing. It’s the process of transferring the Earth’s energy from the ground into the body.
9. Train early and often. A consistent training regimen leads to better performance, improved health, and greater energy.
10. Schedule your next vacation. All work and no play leads to a lack of recovery, both mentally and physically.