We usually start each year with the best of intentions, but abandon those complicated or seemingly unattainable resolutions within just a few weeks. Luckily, the experts at EXOS have provided these seven simple steps to getting started or refreshing your routine at any point on your journey:
- Find your reason to train. Defining your goal will help you know why you’re working out, and why it’s worthwhile to keep going.
- Make a plan. Commit to your workouts by scheduling them and prioritize those “appointments” with yourself. You’re worth it!
- Be realistic. Set smaller goals that will help get you to your big goal while helping you develop better habits along the way. Remember that good health is a lifelong commitment.
- Write it down. Track workouts or meals or keep a journal as a daily reminder of small successes. You’ll be able to look back and see your progress so you can keep going.
- Share your goals. If you say it out loud, you’re more likely to stay committed to your goal. This is where an accountability partner is so important. If you don’t have a buddy to share your goals with, work with a trainer to stay honest about your goals and progress.
- Focus on the first 30 days. Research shows that if you stick with a new routine for 30 days, you’re more likely to maintain it over time. That’s how our Individual Wellness Pathway gets new members started working toward their goals.
- Remember to celebrate! Every day that you make a positive change for your health is a victory. Celebrate little accomplishments and you’ll stay motivated and continue your great progress.
Sharing your goals with friends
This month, we’re highlighting the importance of having a support system with our Get Fit with Friends promotion. Bring a friend to any group exercise class this month and experience the positive energy and fun you can have with a workout buddy. Just ask Mercy Fitness Center members Chaunsey Dumas and Rabih Kalidy—the duo have been working out together 3-4 days each week at 5 a.m. They keep each other accountable and enjoy each other’s company while getting healthy and strong together. What could be better than sharing good health with good friends? Plus, if your friend joins Mercy Fitness Center, you get a $10 referral credit and your friend gets a 30-day Individual Wellness Pathway to kick-start their own goal-setting. There’s no better time than right now to start fresh!