The human body comprises many intricate systems that all depend on proper hydration to function correctly. The experts at EXOS tell us that by the time you’re thirsty, you’re already dehydrated, so pay attention to your body’s signals that it needs water and be proactive about your daily water intake.
Here are some signs you need to drink more water:
- Thirst or dry mouth
- Inability to focus
- Urine that is dark in color (should be pale yellow)
Conversely, proper hydration provides these benefits:
- Improves mental clarity and brain function
- Increases energy levels
- Keeps muscles strong and active during exercise
- Helps the body properly digest foods
- Protects and cushions joints and organs
- Keeps skin looking young and reduces signs of aging
- Aids in weight loss
On average, you’ll need to drink .5-1 ounce of water per pound of body weight daily. Pay attention to your body’s unique signals and you’ll know whether to increase your water intake. Swap out one soda per day for water and start your day with 20 ounces of water to make up for the time you were sleeping and not hydrating. If plain water gets boring, add a spring of mint or a squeeze of lime, or try these EXOS recipes for infused water to combat hydration boredom. Beat the heat this summer even when working out indoors and swimming, and keep your body hydrated and fueled for optimal performance.