You may read about whey protein isolate and BCAAs to increase muscle gain, aid fat loss, and speed recovery. But, there’s a lot more you need to know about which supplements may be right for you depending on your fitness and daily performance goals.
Here are the top five supplements recommended by EXOS nutritionists, why you may want to consider them, and when to take them for maximum effectiveness.
Daily Nutrition Supplements
- Fish oil. The omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA help reduce inflammation for faster recovery after a workout. Look for a fish oil supplement that contains 1000 milligrams of combined DHA and EPA for best results.
- Multivitamin with Vitamin D. You should still “eat the rainbow” and consume lots of essential vitamins and minerals in a healthy diet. A multivitamin supplement with Vitamin D is an additional way to guarantee your body is getting everything it needs to support tissue recovery and keep you feeling great. Make sure your daily multi contains at least 1000 IU of Vitamin D.
Before a Workout
- Your body naturally produces creatine, which is also found in meat, fish, and eggs. Taking a scoop of creatine monohydrate in water before a workout can give muscles extra energy to do a few extra reps or run a little longer, helping you build strength and lose fat.
After a Workout
- Whey protein isolate. Whey is a protein found in milk that helps muscles rebuild and repair after a workout. If your goal is to increase muscle mass or lose weight – which increased muscle mass can help with – consider adding whey protein to your post-workout regimen. Just mix 1-2 scoops with water.
Before or After a Workout
- Branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs). BCAAs are a more refined version of the amino acids found in whey protein, which means you’ll consume fewer calories and need less product to get the same recovery and muscle-building boost. Before or after your workout, mix 1 scoop of BCAA powder with water.
Choosing Safe Supplements
Speak with your doctor, nutritionist, and personal trainer to determine which supplements are right for you. Look for safe and effective supplements that are free of harmful ingredients. You’ll know the safe supplements by their third-party testing and NSF Certification badges (below) on the packaging.